My supervisor, Dr. Lawson, and I had an initial discussion this week about the possible directions my readings could take. A number of questions surfaced, which I expect will re-occur throughout the term. Some notable ones are the following:
- Is the pursuit of reading an elitist construct?
- How prevalent is the belief that reading for pleasure is inferior to reading for improvement/edification?
- Is an advanced reading level still necessary for most people, in most situations, or is it merely the measure of academic success that we are most accustomed to using?
- Will we continue to read if we don’t need to?
- Could the broadening gap in reading ability between boys and girls be due to the fact that there are fewer books out there that interest teenage boys than girls?